Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Student Interview

I wanted to wait till the end of my placement to do my interview with a student. I felt that by waiting this long students would feel more comfortable to open up with me during the interview. My first interview was not successful because the student was very nervous and you could tell he felt that he was being graded on what he said. He didn't want to say something wrong. So i decided to interview another student. This student was very open with me about her past time at school. The one question that really stuck out in my mind is when I asked her to share a time in school that she was not so proud of. Her reply had my jaw on the floor. She shared with me about the three times that she was suspended the previous year in the 7th grade. The first one was fighting. The second one was when she called a girl in her class a bitch. Then she said she didn't want to share the third one with me. I said that is fine, and if she didn't want to share that with me, that would be OK. I went on with the interview and I was thanking her for helping me out with this interview and she said, "The third time is when I tried to cut myself." With all of my classes and the news, I knew that this happened in school but it was shocking to sit there and have a kid tell you about it. She did not get into details, but if she got suspended from school, I'm guessing it happened at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment